I often spend holidays in New York where my brother lives and, while there, I like to share the American passion for the humble pumpkin. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins and even pumpkin puree in coffee, so this recipe was a no-brainer for inclusion in this book. This drink is perfect to serve for Halloween and Thanksgiving celebrations, too.
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée (such as Libby’s)
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- 500ml milk
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, plus extra to decorate
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Spray cream or whipped cream, for topping
- Blender (optional)
- Put the pumpkin purée and chopped white chocolate in a saucepan with the milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Simmer over a
low heat until the chocolate has melted, whisking all the time. For an extra-smooth hot chocolate, put the mixture in a blender now and blitz
for a few seconds. This is optional though, as I also enjoy the drink with the slight texture of
- Return the hot chocolate to the pan if necessary, and heat again, then pour into two heatproof glasses or cups to serve. Top with cream and finish with an extra pinch of grated nutmeg. Serve immediately.