Ease of preparation: Easy
Number of servings: 8
Oxtail cut into 5cm pieces: 2 kg
Plain flour: 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp
12 brown pickling onions: 480 g
Medium carrots chopped coarsely: 240 g
Celery – trimmed, sliced thickly: 150 g
Garlic cloves: 8
Dry red wine: 375 ml
Port: 500 ml
Beef stock: 500 ml
Sprigs fresh thyme: 4
Dried bay leaf: 1
How to prepare
- Trim excess fat from the oxtail and toss in flour to coat; shake off excess. Heat half the oil in a frying pan and cook oxtail, in batches, until browned. Transfer to a 4.5 litre slow cooker.
- Peel onions, leaving the root ends intact. Heat the rest of the oil in the same pan and cook the onions, carrots, celery and garlic, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are lightly browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the wine and port to the pan and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 1 cup. Transfer to the slow cooker with the stock, thyme and bay leaf. Cook, uncovered, on low, for 8 hours.
- Discard thyme and bay leaf. Remove oxtail from the cooker and cover to keep warm. Cook sauce, uncovered, on high for about 30 minutes, or until thickened. Skim fat from surface. Season to taste.
- Return oxtail to the sauce and heat through. Serve with roast garlic, red onion and potatoes.